Tteokbokki (떡볶이) or stir-fried rice cakes
150g rice cakes
1/2 tsp dashi powder* (I use Dashida Anchovy Soup Stock)
1 cup water*
1 tbsp gochujang (red chilli paste – 고추장)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
*You can substitute dashi powder and water with one cup of homemade dashi stock. Or any other stock (or even just plain water – that’s what I did before I got the powder) in that matter.
If you wish to have this dish vegan, skip dashi and use either water or vegetable stock, it tastes just as great.
Optional ingredients I add depending on my mood
1 sheet (30g) of fish cake (
2 medium-sized shrimp
2 sticks of imitation crab meat
1 slice of cheese
1. Defrost your rice cakes (if frozen).
2. Put water and dashi powder into a pot.
3. Add gochujang, soy sauce and sugar, and bring to boil.
4. Cut defrosted fish cakes into bite-size pieces.
5. Add rice cakes and fish cakes into the pot.
6. Cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce thickened up.
7. Put into a bowl and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
8. Enjoy your meal~!